Granville Post Office WPA Mural - 1938

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Who Was That, Again?

You spoke of friends,
well, acquaintances
whose lives had left our sphere,
and I recalled a story
from their time when they were near.
I wasn't sure how close I'd track
their journeys now long after,
but your energy and hopefulness
told a tale among the laughter.
Should I keep up with every one
who chose a different path?
Their twining, branching avenues
would be a task to track.
My life would wind with theirs, no doubt,
through newer aims and angles,
even if I had the time to take
a course through joys and wrangles.
They extend me, and I should stretch,
while I see in myself a thoughtless wretch
for holding back
from all their tangles.
A lightly pruned life is not more tidy,
but it can be lived more simply.

No comments: